Photo Credit: Rawpixel
Millions of seniors are currently living alone and away from loved ones. If you have older adults as neighbors, you may be concerned about their welfare — and rightly so. Seniors who live alone are more likely to experience issues with their mental and physical well-being. This means it’s up to communities to create a network of care for these older members of society so they aren’t left behind or forgotten.
How to Help Seniors with Challenges at Home
As people get older, they sometimes need some help with everyday tasks. If you can’t lend a hand personally, point them towards other options.
- Luckily, there are plenty of professionals out there who can help with things like home maintenance.
- You can also find someone trustworthy who cleans furniture.
- Keep in mind seniors also often need help with their home’s exterior, so search for services that provide lawn care.
How to Help Seniors with Limited Mobility
If a beloved senior is having a tough time getting around, some aging-in-place modifications and help with getting out and about may be necessary.
- That includes modifications to the home like ramps and widened doorways.
- There are also specific additions to help make bathrooms more safe for seniors.
- Also consider affordable transportation options to help seniors stay active.
How to Help Seniors with Loneliness
Isolation and feelings of loneliness are serious issues for many seniors, and can affect their physical and mental well-being.
- Senior isolation can be prevented; look out for warning signs of depression and connect them with help if they need it.
- There are also lots of resources out there specially designed to help seniors connect with mental health services, if necessary.
How to Help Seniors with Financial Issues
Money matters can get away from people on a limited income. Help keep a senior’s finances in check. Look for ways they can cut costs and hire help when they need it.
- For instance, they might benefit from reducing expenses by downsizing after retirement and using the proceeds from a home sale to bulk up long-term savings.
- You could also help your beloved senior plan a budget that fits their fixed income.
There’s no reason why seniors in our community have to feel alone, especially when all of us can help create networks of care and compassion. You can start using the resources and tips above to bring more light into the lives of senior members and more love into their hearts.
For over 40 years, Kaplan Developments has been working to help innovate the senior living space. They have established a rich history of premier senior living experiences, from developing new properties to managing daily operations. The Kaplan name brings experience, quality, and innovative solutions every time.